Bacon, Egg and a few secret ingredients Pie

Growing up watching my Dad make rows and rows of pies in the Bakery, I never really thought about making them that much, it seemed like such a natural thing, I never really put too much stock in recipes. Dad used to make amazing Bacon and Egg pies, which I loved to eat some mornings with a good squirt of Tomato Sauce on top!

I have made my own changes to the basic recipe, I have put the tomato sauce in the form of tomato chutney and used fennel seeds to give it a pleasant hint of aniseed.

1x 25x25cm Square Tin
400g Short Pastry
1x Sheet Puff Pastry (enough to cover top of pie)
1x Onion, diced
1 Cup Tasty Cheese, grated
1/2 Cup Vinegary home-made Tomato Relish
(if using store brought, tip into a bowl and mix with malt vinegar until nice and tangy)
9x Eggs
500g Smoky Bacon, large dice
(Kelburn Butcher do the best bacon I've ever tasted)
1/2 Cup Cream
Fennel Seeds
Salt
Pepper

Roll short pastry out to cover the bottom of the greased pie tin.
Sprinkle with fennel seeds.
Spread onion and cheese over pie base, top with tomato relish.
Break six of the eggs over the base of the pie, leave whole, salt and pepper to taste.
Spread bacon over the eggs.
Mix remaining eggs with cream, salt and pepper and pour over bacon.
Add puff pastry to top of pie and seal edges.
Make cuts in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
Brush pie shell with milk and sprinkle fennel seeds over the top.
Bake at 190C for 30-40min until golden and knife comes out clean.

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment